Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Yesterday, I carried around a Starbucks cup from East 63rd, dry cleaners on Court, home, Le Pain Quotidien and Whole Foods in Union Square, the farmer's market at Boro Hall, and Kinko's. Oh yeah, then back home. In fact, I'm pretty sure today (day after yesterday), that the cup is still in my bag. Why, you may ask, are you a trash-carrying hobo, schlepping over the boroughs with Starbucks refuse? Well, I had to work (that's the schlepping part), but Starbucks (at least the one on the UES) doesn't recycle. I do. Hence, I brought the [empty] cup home with me. It's great to use recyclable materials, but if you don't offer people a place to dump it, what's the point? I am fortunate to live in NYC: there are many a recycling bins (stores, peoples' trash cans in front of their brownstone), but what about other places? Like, for instance, Ft. Meyers, FL. Just there. Patronized a Starbucks (I know, I know- there are many more delicious coffee places- I generally don't buy there. Just in a pinch. And in FL.) No recycling bins! AND my grandmother (with whom I was staying), wasn't able to recycle that number (bummer).

Starbucks also sells fair trade coffee. However, it's a rare day when there's fresh brewed for purchase. C'mon! Yeah, your shares are down. Yeah, you're laying people off. So, jump on the cool, hip "Green" band wagon and re-vamp your image!!! Use reusable cups for cold beverages for customers lounging around the store, slurping their orange-mocha frapuccinos. ALWAYS have a fair trade option. Give people money off when they bring their own mug (at all corporate owned stores) (side note: is Starbucks a franchise? Must do research. Will get back to you on that). Heck, your logo is even GREEN! And it's a mermaid! Way organic-chic, bobo etc.

This isn't a tirade about Starbucks. I mean, I do go there from time to time. Although I'm trying to increase the times between time that I frequent the place (also, I don't think their coffee is that great. Sue me). I bought this great book- Greenopia- that has a multitude of local and eco friendly coffee shops (denoting those with free WIFI!!!). Those of you in SF and LA, you too have access to it's breadth of knowledge: NYC and the two fore mentioned are the only spots, at the moment, that have a version of the publication. Their website foreshadows it will be coming soon to a city near you. Or at least those of us who live in urban to semi-settled areas.

Did y'all hear about the Who Farm, sitting outside the Apple Store by Central Park? Funny article in the Metro this am.

Thoughts for future posts: the accidental environmentalist (Myra's dad and my mom); ted.com (thanks, Gabe!); cookbooks for locavores...

Gotta go empty my purse again: Tahini's and the bodega across the street's refuse is funking up my purse :)

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment